Friday, April 3, 2015

Job Hunts

While I was on duty tonight, I was working on polishing my cover letter and resume for this really awesome Editorial Assistant job in New York City. I can only pray that I at least earn an interview because working for Penguin-Random House would be such an amazing opportunity. 

I started out by logging into my new favorite website, saltmoney.org, and checking out their article all about  cover letter writing and where to begin. I just followed the steps because they tell you exactly what you should talk about in each paragraph of your cover letter. I think that I paint a really great picture of my skills and why I am a good candidate for the position, but I am so nervous that I said too much or maybe I said things I should never say. I mean, I talked about the kinds of responsibilities I work on in my various positions that involve some of the skills they are seeking. I am showing them rather than just telling them. 

All I really can hope for is that they like me enough to call me into the office for an interview. That would be an honor all by itself.

During the last few hours of duty, I worked on typing up a budget for myself that I think I can stick to. It is actually not so much a budget more than it is a typed up list of my financial crisis. I really want to try and use this summer as the time to become fiscally responsible. I have a life plan, and if I stick to the plan, then I can do just about anything.

Lifeplan:
Work at Brussels while living at home.
Find job in NYC in major publishing house.
2-3 years, find fabulous NYC apartment
Write part-time/Work full-time
6-8 years, re-locate to somewhere else fabulous
10 years = FIRST BEST SELLING NOVEL! New York Times raves about it!

I have a laundry list of things that need to be accomplished this summer, but I am taking it in "Baby Steps" (Dr. Leo Marvin, What About Bob?" Excellent movie.

I just really want to save my money so I can be financially sound for a while. I am definitely not in the market for a house within the next 10 years, but I want to rent a really nice apartment somewhere. According to the Salt calculator, if I put away $100 a week into savings, in 20 years, I could have 300,000 dollars. That sounds so epic. My plan for myself is to never be in debt. It is just way too stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment