Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Internship Ahoy!


This summer I am acting as an intern for the Finance Manager, more affectionately known as my mom, over at Brussels Airlines. I started off with extremely tedious and albeit boring work, but I am definitely learning a lot about the ins and outs of accounting systems and applying them to the real world.


Day 1 (5/31) and I was already writing out these Agency Debit Memos (ADM). These forms are then being input in a computer filing system called ARC and will be sent from there to the various online agencies that sell airline tickets. These were being sent out because people who bought airline tickets paid with a Discover card. Brussels airlines do not accept discover card, but most websites do and these slip through the cracks resulting in debit memos being issued. Phew! That was a lot for me the first time around. Now, I could fill those out with my eyes closed. I must have written, "Credit card not processed. Discover not accepted by airline" at least 45 times. It took me all day to fill those out and put them in the computer. Then, as a filler job while my mom finished some of her own paperwork, I filed away some invoices. The filing system is where things can get a little hairy. Nothing is clearly labeled and there are three different spots for different invoices: General Invoices, Canada and JFK. It can get confusing sometimes because there are often exceptions to the already accepted filing rule. Among these tasks come many others that are just shy of fetching coffee for her. I make copies, send FedEx packages and print their tickets, I re-file files, I print labels with the P-Touch and I open the mail. This past week at work I have been given the task of cross checking spread sheets with the addresses of all the airports in which Brussels airlines does business with and let me tell you...it is a lot of airports!

I punch in and out of the time clock every day just like every other non-salaried employee of Brussels Airlines. The fact that I am making money hand over fist is not the only reason I absolutely love this job. There are the delicious Neuhaus chocolates from Belgium and John's delicious "cookies" all the way from New Jersey, but these things are only part of it. You could also say that coffee, cookie and chatting time makes coming to work worthwhile. Honestly, it is the cast of characters my mom works for. Let’s start at the top of the food chain, shall we? First there is John. He is just the cutest little old man that ever could live. He reminds me of my grandfather in some ways. He is tall, white hair Belgian accent (my grandpa's is Italian but same difference) and like my grandfather; he tells a story but laughs before he can tell you the punch line. Next, there is Dave He works a lot of the local events that Brussels Airlines must attend and represent themselves at. He is equally as funny though. Just the other day, I had to hold my laughter in the office when he was on the phone with his best friend. Their conversation reminded me of the "Who's On First?" Abbott & Costello routine. Maybe it's one of those moments where you had to be there. Still nothing? Come find me and I will do the impersonation.
Next, is Olivier. I do not see him much during the day because he works on the 4th floor and we are on the 2nd, but when we do it's usually him and Dave making some kind of stir. Other than that, Olivier is quiet, but knows to arrive for check signing time, which he absolutely hates doing. Finally, there is Margareta whom I believe to have been a comedienne in another life. She just cracks us up at every turn and sometimes I cannot stop laughing. Her best jokes are when John is coming around with his "cookies" (mini danish). They are like heaven on earth that's how delicious they taste. It is unfortunate that she works on the 4th floor as well. My mom and I are the only two Brussels Airlines people on the 2nd floor most days because Dave and John travel a lot.


Next week is a big week for us though! We launch our first flights from Washington DC to Brussels. It is a very exciting time for everyone at the airline. My mom and I might even be making the road trip down there next week to attend the cocktail party and celebrate with the rest of Brussels Airlines!!!! *fingers crossed we get to go*

No comments:

Post a Comment