Sunday, January 26, 2014

Book Review: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

I just finished Jodi Picoult's novel, The Storyteller. It was heartbreaking and an extremely difficult read because it was about the Holocaust. I never liked learning about that in history class. It always makes me sick to my stomach to think about how humans treated another group of humans. Her novels have a way of forcing you to rethink yourself, your outlook on the world and what you contribute to it. I definitely recommend this novel! Her next book comes out in October 2014 and I will definitely be attending that book signing as I have in the past!

Every time I read one of Jodi Picoult's novels, I feel like I walk away knowing so much more about a subject than I ever did. I mean this in a good way. The only problem with this situation was that it is about my most hated part of history because it just raises such anger inside me. I was reading this book at dinner and I got to Minka's section and towards the end of it, I wanted to puke because of what I was reading and eating. The two did not mix. The story of Minka is so strong and so enraging. Jodi really makes you feel like you are facing these horrible men yourself. 

I am not sure how a big a fan I am of Sage as a character for a couple of reasons. 1) She complains about the scars on her face and how she cannot be out in public, and yet, she has a job at a town favorite bakery. 2) She was practically breaking up a marriage and that is something I morally cannot get behind. Even though, yes, Adam was cheating right along with her; he was not the main character of the story. 

The ending was a typical major twist, except I did not see this one coming at all. I was totally shocked.

I love Leo's character. I am a criminal justice minor and so in some of the legal parts of the book, I was nodding and I responded to some of Sage's questions before poor Leo could. Sorry man. ;) 

Over all, I loved this book. Although, I do think Minka's section was a little long, I do not feel it would have been wise to shorten it. She was the key to the whole story and so all of her section was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment