Monday, April 14, 2014

Spring Time in NYC

Spring has most definitely sprung and the weather has gone from ice cold to boiling hot. It's crazy!
On Saturday April 12, I traveled to NYC with about 20 others. It was a really great day; the sun was out, there was a nice breeze and I spent the day with family. The bus driver dropped us off at Bryant Park, right behind the New York Public Library. My mom met me inside the park, we hopped the D train and met up with Rachel and Warren in the Village at Fiddlesticks for lunch. Fiddlesticks is an Irish Pub that, from the outside, appears to be older than man because its sign is completely scratched away. It is impossible to read the sign from afar.

We enjoyed a delicious brunch that afternoon, complete with a complimentary beverage. I had my first mimosa there. I am 21, and I do like to get the occasional drink, but I feel strange ordering a drink in the presence of friends and family. I am such an old lady that my Drivers Permit, my only state ID, has expired which adds to the whole "not ordering drinks" thing. It would be extremely awkward if the waiter or bartender did not believe my ID was real all because of a little technicality.

So, we walked to Chelsea Pier and explored the Highline, which is an old freight train track that closed years ago. Instead of tearing it down, it became a park that you can explore. It was so incredibly busy up there on Saturday that the hordes of people reminded me of the Ten Commandments movie. You know that scene; when the people are proceeding through the Red Sea, but at an extremely slow pace because it is so crowded, but they march on?

What I discovered, on this walking tour, is that New York City is full of know-nothing know-it-alls. A man called Bryant Park Washington Square Park as confidently as John Travolta introduced Adelle Dazeem. My mom corrected this one guy that was walking behind us on the Highline because he was telling his friends that the tracks were built especially for this purpose and that they were raised off the ground.

Maybe it wasn't exactly that, but the point is that he was giving his friends the wrong information about it.

I had never been up there before Saturday, but it was a nice walk and there was a gorgeous breeze. There would be no struggle in persuading me to go back up there.

After enjoying ice cream sundaes and Starbucks iced coffees, my mom walked me back to Bryant Park and the bus that would bring me back to Albertus.

No comments:

Post a Comment