Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Long Trip Back

As a Creative Writing concentrator, I am currently taking a Creative Writing seminar with one of my absolute favorite professors; Dr. Susan Cole. She is amazing and can make even the trickiest of writing tasks seem possible. The other day, our assignment was to write a poem based on a task that we would complete that seems un-poetic. I am very proud with the way I made my trip back home to Long Island seem so poetic. I would like to share my original piece here with everyone.

The Long Trip Back
Start with the Blue and catch a Red.
Fifteen fifty for a one way ticket.
Down to Track 14; it never changes.
Find a secluded seat; no babies please.
Headphones in and my nose enters a book.
Half way there at Stamford and straight on to Harlem 125th,
and then on to Grand Central.
Hop on the S, switch to the 2; Penn Station!

That’s half the battle.
Eleven twenty-five and two more trains.
Penn Station, switch at Jamaica and away to Merillon Avenue we go.
I sprint to my mom’s camry.
Esta una sorpressa!

I’m home.


Snaps for the poet. Never Applause. 

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment