Friday, November 22, 2013

Writer Hard at Work

Well, you might be wondering where I ran off to for past week or so. Honestly, I have been working long hours and late nights on a short story. I started it during my freshman year of college for creative writing class with Professor Wallman. It started out on a small, yellow napkin from a birthday dinner in Canada. Now, it is seven small paragraphs long. It's something that I am hoping will turn into a short novel or novelette. What's the difference, you ask? A novel has 40,000 words and up and a novelette is only about 7,500 - 17,500 words, according to the Science Fiction Writers of America.

I want to share a small excerpt from my story with all of you. I like hearing opinions and suggestions. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Please do not be afraid to send me comments! As a writer, I am used to criticism.

Here we go! Here is section number 6. I have dropped you into the middle of my story. It is right after my main characters have collided with one another.

The ride down all seventeen stories of the office building was completely silent, except for the speedy clicking of the blackberry keyboard. She stands there, afraid to move and contemplating starting a conversation with him, but has no idea what to say to him. He clearly is not interested in speaking, so she forgets about it. The ground floor icon lights up and they part ways. She raises her arm and hails a cab to head on home. He is now imprinted in her mind and there is nothing she can do to forget about him.

So? What did you think? Send me constructive criticisms please! I appreciate any help I can get with this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment