Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Vacation

How was everyone else's Thanksgiving? Mine was amazing! We started the morning out like we always do. My mom sticks the turkey into the oven and we turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Personally, I love the parade. Traditions are my thing and this was the 87th parade this year. Speaking of traditions; dinner was at my house. It pretty typically is except for the year we were re-doing the house and the year my mom went on strike from cooking. Everything was delicious...despite some technical difficulties. We have two ovens in the house; one in the basement and one on the main floor. The basement one decided to act up right when we needed it. It learned this funny trick of turning off the second it heats up to the temperature you need it at. My mom's awesome turkey gravy was giving her trouble as well. It refused to thicken. The turkey...he decided not tell her the right temperature, leading us to believe he was under-cooked. Funny, right? There were four kinds of potatoes: scalloped, mashed, twice baked and sweet potatoes. My grandmother prepared her infamous stuffed mushrooms and acorn squash. Yum! My mom's applesauce was more amazing than ever before and her stuffing was to die for!

Dessert is another story. There was apple pie, cherry pie, pecan pie and birthday cake for all the birthday people. A good portion of my family members celebrate birthdays in the fall. My father, my older sister and my uncle all have Thanksgiving time birthdays so every year, Thanksgiving is also a three-way birthday party. My brother's birthday is December 5th, so this year we threw him into the holiday birthday crowd. He turns 16 this year, which in my opinion is a pretty big birthday! He's growing up so fast. Pretty soon, he will be heading to college. That thought scares me, but I digress.
So, that was my Thanksgiving. Tomorrow, I am going to tell the tale of decorating my house for Christmas. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment